Many speeding tickets written under NY VTL § 1180 are returned to the Bedford Town Court. This is because Interstate 684 runs through the town. I-684 is an open, straight, 6 lane highway running north and south in which the speed limit is artificially set low at 55 MPH in many spots. This makes the roadway ripe for traffic enforcement.
In addition to speeding, many cell phone and texting / electronic device tickets under NY VTL § 1225 are returned to the Bedford Town Court, as well as failure to yield / move over under NY VTL § 1144, unsafe lane change under NY VTL § 1128, failure to signal under NY VTL § 1163, following too close under NY VTL § 1129, and failure to wear a seatbelt / unrestrained minor under NY VTL § 1229.
These common violations returned to the Bedford Town Court carry points as follows:
- Speeding, NY VTL § 1180: 3 to 11 points, depending on the speed
- Cell phone / electronic device, NY VTL § 1225: 5 points
- Failure to yield / move over, NY VTL § 1144: 3 points
- Unsafe lane change, NY VTL § 1128: 2 points
- Failure to signal, NY VTL § 1163: 2 points
- Following too close, NY VTL § 1129: 4 points
- Seatbelt, NY VTL 1229: if minor is unrestrained it’s a 3 point charge against the driver; if the driver it is a 0 point DMV violation but an insurance merit system violation that nonetheless triggers insurance increases
Our office routinely defends clients against traffic ticket charges in the Bedford Town Court. In addition to the above moving violations, we also defend clients in the Bedford Town Court against the following misdemeanor criminal charges:
- Operation while license is suspended, NY VTL § 511
- Operating a vehicle while registration is suspended, NY VTL 512
- Operating an uninsured motor vehicle, NY VTL § 319 (while not a crime, a conviction triggers a minimum 1 year license revocation as well as an fine in addition to the court fine from the DMV of $750.00)
- Unauthorized possession of marijuana, NY Penal Law § 221.05 (often charged in conjunction with an auto crime or moving violation)
Have you or someone you know been given a ticket for a moving violation or arrested for a motor vehicle crime and have a case pending in the Bedford Town Court? If so I am sure that you have questions or concerns. We can answer those questions, so feel free to give us a call anytime 24 / 7. Talking to people about their legal problems and needs is something we do every day, and we’d love to hear from you!